Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 May 2010 16:34:42 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 81 Manual Transmission
Comments: To: Johannes Emigholz <johannes.emigholz@GMX.NET>

Greetings, sounds like you are having great fun and adventure with your Vanagon !

Transmission work is specialized work, usually only done by transmission rebuilding shops, and in this case should be done by someone familiar with VW transaxles, not just 'any' transmission rebuilding shop.

it's not a matter of just get a new 4th gear and put it in. it's a rebuild really. your choices are ....... find a good used transmission, it's called a "DK" ..that's the code letters for your trans. Used ones are a bit hard to find sometimes. 'good used' is your most cost effective option if you can find one.

otherwise it's rebuild yours and hope that yours is a rebuildble core, since if it's not, they'll charge you quite a bit extra for not having a rebuildble core to start with.

have fun ! and Welcome. Scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Johannes Emigholz" <johannes.emigholz@GMX.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, May 24, 2010 4:02 PM Subject: 81 Manual Transmission