Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 May 2010 18:03:36 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2.1L engine failure? (Side question about the belts)
Comments: To: Robert Fisher <garciasghostvw@GMAIL.COM>

regarding this engine-saving self-monitoring system .. one existed for VW Bugs. if engine temp got too high ...or oil pressure too low, some of the ignition pulses would be shorted out, or cut off, resulting in a 'limp mode'...it'll run, but not enough to hurt itself, and you limp to somewhere safe and see what's going on.

and modern cars have that too, for self-protection. They can go into limp mode.....just run, but poorly enough you have to deal with it.

for our vans, they could made to work on our vans by sensing coolant temp, oil pressure, oil temp, etc. Not hard to do with a small electronic circuit.

re scanning the gauges, In flying it's called 'you scan' ....on a regular basis you scan all the gauges and warning lights. In a car it goes like this .. and this Works.....you do this with your eyes ... 1. look all around the vehicle in front of you, 2. look as far ahead as you are able to see 3. look in the rear view mirror. 4. look at your speedo and check your speed 5. look at temp gauge, and warning lights. repeat. you do that constantly while driving over and over.

when someone gets hit from behind, my only thought is, they weren't monitoring their '6' ( their 6 o'clock position ) properly . < but hey, collecting insurance money off a smash rear bumper is profitable , so why not ! ) .. Like when you stop in a row of cars, you never relax until you see the next car behind you see what's going on and start to slow down. You gotta watch your rear end as much as anywhere else, even more actually.

regarding watching ..it's the 'forward 45's" that are the danger zones. Very easy to see cars out the front, out the rear, even alongside, and the danger of the blind zone ( rear 45's ) is well known... but it's what's behind those A pillars that can get ya. Quite easily. It's not even that hard to pull out in front a car coming down the road ....gotta really be vigilant about those forward 45's. That's where real hazards are likely to be lurking that are not readily spotted. Stay safe ! and check them gauges and lights, and outside views in a regular pattern, over and over.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Fisher" <garciasghostvw@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, May 24, 2010 4:39 PM Subject: Re: 2.1L engine failure? (Side question about the belts)