Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 May 2010 11:03:37 -0400
From:         Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Tire Review (as requested): General Altimax RT 205/70R14

Hello - I had asked about these tires a few weeks ago and some list members had requested that I tell them what I think once I got them.

I choose this size because I have the stock VW alloys.

I had the tires put on last Wed and then promptly made a 500 +/- rouind trip over the weekend.

They are pretty great tires. Road noise is very low. We had a moderate head/cross wind on the first leg of our trip and I didn't have any problems with the bus feeling unstable or any feelings of squishy/wobbliness. (these tires DO have the proper load rating for our vans).

I've read they can be lame on grass or gravel but I haven't experienced that - although I haven't done a lot of driving on either (most of our driving is on paved roads).

So in a nutshell I highly recommend these. They run $59 per tire on tire rack. I was able to get Discount tire to order them for just slightly more. $357.00 for 4 tires (included tax, mounting , and balance). I know you get what you pay for but I'm on a budget and these are some great tires for what I paid.

Thanks to Dennis Haynes for recommending these. My bus is very happy with these too :)

-- Thanks,

Jeff '85 GL (Gertie) '90 Carat (Grover - the noble parts donor) '86 (We call this one Scrap) '78 Bus (Melissa) Patty's Bus