Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 May 2010 11:40:56 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Alternator light mystery-High bean switch!

hi agian, Dennis, David B. et all -

what I had not forumulated or expressed properly, about how can the igntion switch could cause headlights to not work is....

you'd think if it can supply power for 'Igntion On' it would also supply power to the headlights ... like power for those two would come from the same contact in the igntion switch - perhaps.

and just glancing at the igntion switch in your hands, one might think it's a basic 'single' layer rotary switch. Hence my , 'without thinking' assumption that if the swtich can power one thing it will power another at that same level as well.

however, looking at the ignition switch on page 97.104 say, for 87 Vanagon ... they draw the switch like it was ganged toggle switch , but it's not of course, so the igntion switch must be a rotary switch with more than one layer of 'disc' in it, if you follow me.

That explains how the ign sw. could send power to the coil, but not to the headlights ... the power for those two things, while on the same 'level' in terms of off/on/strart powering things ... comes from separate contacts for those two functions, evidently. If I said that half clear enough to follow.

thanks for helping me see that. Scott