Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 May 2010 15:18:33 -0700
From:         Jeffrey Vickers <jeff@VICKERSDESIGN.COM>
Subject:      Re: leaking power steering rack pinion shaft seal

PS racks are really easy to do. I just did one in under 3 hours. You will need an alignment after the install, so plan for that.

The only tool I would recommend is a pickle fork. Its a big and beefy two prong fork with a ball at the other end for whacking. Its for separating the tie rod end from the steering arm. I would recommend getting a PS rack with new tie rod ends on it instead of using your old ones. If you do that then you can just use any old tool to get the old tie rods ends off since you'll be tossing them. The pickle fork is cheap enough and works better than wailing on it with a chisel, etc.

The rest is just undoing bolts and nuts. Start with taking off the u- joints at either end of the steering shaft and then undo the tie rod ends with your new pickle fork. Undo the hi and low hose connections and then undo the four main bolts on the rack.

On a Syncro, you can weasel the rack out to one side to get it off, but that's with that side's tire removed so I'd remove both wheels - it'll give you more room and light.

Bolt the new one in, put the wheels back on, bolt down the tie rod ends into the steering arms and then adjust the tie rod ends on each side so that the tires are pointing straight down the road. You'll need to do this so you can get to your alignment appointment without the police pulling you over on a suspected DUI.

Also be sure to center your steering wheel when you bolt up the steering rod (wheels straight ahead) - you may have to do a finer adjustment by popping off the steering wheel when you're all done and moving it a notch or two.

Hook up and lower the van just enough so that when you put fresh PS fluid in there, (van running) you can easily rotate the steering wheel from one stop to the other several times. Top up the fluid and enjoy your new rack!

cheers, Jeff