Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 May 2010 16:48:18 -0700
From:         Marc Sayer <marcsayer@HUGHES.NET>
Subject:      Re: Good types of drive-on lift ramps?

Cheap and relatively easy to pour a concrete slab that is level and can support the weight of your Vanagon (4" is recommended but you can probably go 3" or even 2" if you have to, w/wire reinforcement or rebar). Mostly all it takes is time and sweat. In fact you can make a level work area for less than $100. Of course for that you aren't going to get a full slab, just 4 small slabs, one for each tire. But you can make sure they're level and fill in around them with 3/4 minus gravel , compacted well. Cover it all with visqueen before you pull on to it, and you have a clean, dry, relatively dust free place to work that is reasonably comfortable no less.

The big costs will be the mix. You will need around 2 cu. yards (you might get a short load delivered pretty cheap if you can wait until someone in your area is getting concrete poured, or you can get those 80 lb bags from your local megamart). And rental on tools, including a mixer. You can save on the mixer if you are really butch and have lots of help, but personally, I'd spring for the mixer (heck I broke down and bought one from HF and it was worth every penny, once you have one, you find yourself doing all sorts of concrete jobs you thought were beyond you). Prep is the key to success (as in most things). Get the site flat, smooth and well compacted before you lay your forms, that will make the whole job a lot easier and quicker. Put down a good 4" or more of 3/4 minus gravel or crusher. Dampen it and compact it well, then let it dry. This will set up hard and give you a good foundation for the concrete. You can do it all in a weekend even if you are working by yourself. Of course the more help you have the less you will beat yourself up. It doesn't have to be pretty, and it doesn't have to be designed to last 1000 years, just to hold up your car now and then for the next few years. If I were on a really tight budget and faced with choosing between working on a sloping gravel/dirt driveway, or working on a level 2" thick rebar reinforced slab, I'd go with the slab myself, even though the 2" really is too thin. I'd just do good prep work and know the slab is just for repairs, not for constant parking, and that it won't last as long as a good 4" slab would. I have worked on cars on a 2" slab before. One didn't even have reinforcement. But the cars were MGs and Datsuns which are a lot lighter than a Vanagon.

I guess what I am trying to say is that pouring a concrete slab is not something you have to pay someone to do (though it's always nice when you can just pay somebody to do it for you). It's no more difficult than working on a car, in fact it many cases it requires less skills. It can be tiring and physically demanding, but it is not difficult. And it is not as costly as you may think.

Rowan Tipton wrote: > I don't have a level slab or the money to get one so I > can't > work on a level place.

--

Marc Sayer Journalist, Photographer, Dog Trainer (APDT member #062956) Board member - Western States Great Dane Rescue Association Director of Operations& Training - Deaf Dane Rescue Inc. Oakridge, OR USA

My Homepage - http://gracieland.org Deaf Dane Rescue - http://deafdane.org White Danes Yahoo Group - http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/whitedanes Western States Great Dane Rescue Association - http://wsgdra.org RescueWatchdogs - http://rescuewatchdogs.org Association of Pet Dog Trainers - http://APDT.com