Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 May 2010 13:29:07 -0700
From:         Annie <lsandrsn@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Troubleshooting a noise

I've had my van back from the mechanic for about a month now. All has been fine and everything has been operating smoothly. I've made a few longer trips than normal (about three 100+ mile trips) so I've put about 750-ish miles on it over the past 4 weeks. Normally, I drive about 450 miles a month.

Anyway . . . a couple of days ago, I began hearing a noise once I got above 30 mph. It sounds like a turbine engine or something! Very loud rubbing type of sound and makes things kinda vibrate. The noise is definitely louder in the back of the van than in the front. When I step on the brakes, there is a bit of shudder initially but then it goes away.

The first day I noticed it, when I got home, I put it in park, and revved up the engine to see if would make any noise and the sound wasn't there. So, I ruled out an engine issue. After everything had cooled, I checked the oil as well as the transmission fluid. The oil was fine but the tranny fluid seemed a bit a low so I followed the procedure in the Bentley for that and ended up adding about 1/4 of a bottle.

I went online and searched the archives here as well as on the Samba and from what I read, it sounded like perhaps the seal in the final drive of the transmission might be bad. I'm not entirely sure, though, because it shifts well - no odd noises when shifting (it's an Auto trans, btw), it shifts smoothly and seems to operate as it should.

So, last night after my mom and I went for a drive so she could hear the noise, we called the mechanic (who happens to be my Uncle) and he said perhaps it could be something else with the wheel bearings. He told me to let it cool down and then this morning to check the air in the tires (they were a bit low - 29 to 30 psi and recommended is 35 so I filled them to 33). I then drove to town on the highway as he recommended to see if there was any change in the noise at higher speeds.

What I found is this - when I'm starting from a dead stop, there is no noise in 1st gear - everything sounds normal. If I take it nice and slow, the noise doesn't begin until I hit about 26-27 mph and am in Drive. BUT - if I start from a dead stop and proceed at a normal accelerating speed, the nose starts immediately after the tranny shifts to 2nd gear - regardless of what speed I'm going. At this level, though, it is not as loud but it is beginning.

I also noticed that the sound is loudest between 26 mph and up to about 45 with the absolute loudest being right around 30 to 35 mph. Once I get above 45, it's still there but the rumble isn't quite as reverberating and loud. It seems to kind a mellow out some at about 50.

There is no loss of power what-so-ever and like I said, the tranny shifts nice and smoothly. Also should note that it has 2 brand new axles on the rear as well as all bearings and what-not. There is no weird feelings or thumping noised when turning or anything either.

If anybody has any idea what it could be, please let me know!!

Thanks!

Be blessed, ~Annie