Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 May 2010 12:13:58 -0700
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: All engines have issues...
Comments: To: Peter K <bybike@gmail.com>

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 11:18 AM, Peter K <bybike@gmail.com> wrote:

> One that I came across (and will visit on Monday) is an '83 wasserboxer that > has had a 1.8L Golf engine put in. The current owner is the mechanic who > owned/ran Lorne Park Car Centre here in Toronto until he retired after 33 > years. He has had the Westy for 11 years, so I would expect the Golf engine > to be around 98-99 and probably from a Mk3 version of the Golf. I would also > think he knows enough to keep his own vehicle reasonably well : ) > > Obvious body etc are top of the list, I'm curious if a bus with this engine > is a good candidate or if it puts me on the fast-path to replacing it? > http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-SUVs-trucks-vans-minivans-vans-1983-Volkswagon-Westfalia-for-sale-W0QQAdIdZ201230065

I recently had a chat with a local Samba member who is running a 1.8 w/CIS in his Westy. He seems happy with it and in recent years, found a decent replacement engine easily. More importantly, IIRC, the swap was done by a mechanic. That and the fact that he's run it long enough to be into it's second engine, shows, in part, that the swap is "proven". Having said that......

My gut feeling is that IF the Westy in question has a Mk2 1.8, IMO, these engines may be somewhat long in the tooth (used). My bet is that some have been regularly "stomped on" by enthusiastic youths (oops. Age profiling. "Enthusiastic people". <grin>) and some, or both, may be "rebuilt" by same. Buying a used 1.8 *may* be more risky than getting something from a Mk3. Just check Bill MacLachlan's posts re the new used 1.8 he had installed.

Does engine have CIS? You can spot CIS by the 4 long high pressure fuel hoses coming from each cylinder to a fuel distributor. NOT knocking CIS, but..... if it's running Digifant, parts sourcing and possibly trouble shooting are likely easier.

Look for the engine code on the block. I know the Mk2 RV engine has more HP than the older ones and runs Digifant.

From Wiki:

ID code- HT, RV 1.8 litre, 77 kilowatts (105 PS; 103 hp) — 1984-1991 Volkswagen Golf, Volkswagen Jetta (RV: 1987-1992 Digifant II) ID code- RD, PF 1.8 litre, 79 kilowatts (107 PS; 106 hp) — 1985-1991 Volkswagen Golf, Volkswagen Jetta, (PF: 1987-1992 Digifant II)

I was curious about Mk3 1.8. Also from Wiki:

1.8 I4 55 kW (AAM/ANN) 1.8 I4 66 kW (ABS/ADZ/ACC/ANP)

You've mentioned body. That paint looks new. Is it? Looks like a nice Westy though. :)

Neil.

-- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines