Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 May 2010 15:54:35 -0400
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott3@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Strange Auto Trans Behavior
Comments: To: BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>

Weird. Does the whine happen when the engine is off for the few seconds before you restart it? If so, I can only think that the TC would do that if it had internal problems. I believe there is a clutch type device in it that can break. I think that the "slips completely" symptom also points to the TC, especially if it affects all modes/gears.

Edward

At 02:03 PM 5/22/2010, BenT Syncro wrote: >Good morning! And for some in the Mid-West, it's spelled differently >nut sounds the same -- 'Ohio, Goh-zig-eh-muh-sue'. "I think I'm >turning Japanese..." > >Anyway, back to misbehaving Vanagon. I recently took my 1984 Vanagon >GL with a Subaru 2.2 EJT (T for turbo) out of semi retirement. The >reason it went to storage was because a local shop installed a >defective Auto trans and had not honored their warranty. > >Here's what happens. She drives fine for a few minutes then shortly >starts to slip completely. Fluid level looks fine. If you shut the >engine off for a few seconds, you will hear a loud whine for several >seconds. While the whine is present, the trans keeps working. After >about 10-20 seconds, whine disappears and so does the functionality of >the auto trans. You can repeat this with the same results each time. > >Where do you think that noise is coming from? It sounds like a pump of >some kind. Is there a chance that it's just the torque converter that >is bad? Afterall, all the gears seem to work when the trans is cold or >when the turn off/on operation is done. > > >TIA, > >BenT >Sent from my torque converter