Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 May 2010 18:04:51 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Castrol and BP
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

Scott,

Back in the bad old days - Quaker Sate was considered a top rated oil. It was made from Pennsylvania Crude, while other common oils of the time were from Sulfur based oils. Their behaviors were very different. Nowadays, not so much, given modern blending practices and the fact that most all oil is sold on an open market before reaching the cracking plants. Today, who knows where your oil molecules may have come from. For the record - I switched to Mobil One 15W15 8 or 9 years ago. I have fewer lifter issues with it, and it performs well here in the South in the 90-100+ F summers.

John

John Rodgers Clayartist and Moldmaker 88'GL VW Bus Driver Chelsea, AL Http://www.moldhaus.com

On 5/22/2010 3:42 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans wrote: > for a weight, 15W40 is what I use, almost exclusively. > > brand wise, I never go near Penzoil, Quaker State ....don't use Valvoline > normally. > > I have used a lot of Chevron Delo 15W40... > boaloards of that since I stopped using Castrol GTX long ago. > < when I got a Diesel Vanagon in '92 is when I found out about Delo > 15W40...and have always had fine results. > > the 'only thing about it' now is LE Forumula ....low Emissions - i.e. no > zinc, or not much zince, which is why 95 and later or so, engines have > roller cam followers, to reduce friction, since for enivronment > reasons, no > zinc in normal oils for gasoline engines. > > Some diesel Oils still have zinc ... > right now I have Shell Rotella T Heavy Duty 15W40 > I have a gallon of Castrol Tection Extra Heady Duty Diesel Oil, 15E40. > > and you can buy a zinc oil addtive, For breakiingi engines or rings > .....8 > oz bottle is at my FLAPS for almost 15 bucks. > I asked what would be the best thing for an engine made for > zinc-containing > oil, like our waterboxers and diesel engines that don't have roller cam > follower - the guy said to put it in every oil change. > > But generally , for my climate, Souten Oregon ....15W40 is a quality > brand, > and fi it's suppossed to still have some since in it .. > or claims to be a diesel oil.... > that's what I use, always with just fine results. > > and, it's not even so much *what* oil is used so much, but more about > regular and often oil change if doing a lot of short trips round town say > ...and leeping the engine in perfect running order and tune, and > driving it > nice. > > re not supporting BP ... > I can only see the overall pictures of 'what humans do' ..and right > now they > are very bent on getting lots of oil for all our products and all our > driving .... > Why single out, say McDonald's ? ...Take on ALL of the very harmul > fast food > industry since it's one of the serious ails of this culture, > nutrutionally > speaking ..and take beef....which I eat myself - cow beef is horendishly > awful in terms of water use, methane gases reelased,....etc. > I have read that becoming a vegitarian would be one of the very most > useful > things a person could do in the sake of reducing enronvmental > damage.- more > useful a change than not driving a car even. Cow meat is that big a > polluter overall. > So ...it's not "BP" ..it's the entire cultural lifestyle that deserves a > good look at, and modify our lifestyles to represent what we stand for > and > hope for. > Sort of don't shoot the messenger thing. > > anyway....15W40 in a quality brand does it for me. > Scott > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Dave Mcneely" <mcneely4@COX.NET> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Saturday, May 22, 2010 10:51 AM > Subject: Castrol and BP > > >> The oil I have been using in my '91 VW Vanagon GL Campmobile with stock >> 2.1 waterboxer engine is Castrol 20W - 50, from British Petroleum. Some >> may find it foolish, but I no longer want to use any BP products, >> just as >> I have avoided Exxon since the Exxon-Valdez catastrophe. What >> non-synthetic alternative do knowledgeable list members recommend? Why? >> >> David McNeely > >