Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 May 2010 18:31:30 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: oil other than Castrol
Comments: To: Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@gmail.com>

Jake, I do have an oil pressure gauge, and after a series of miss steps, got one that actually reads accurately (previous owner had installed a gauge, but with the wrong sender for that particular gauge). So, you think that even with temps up around 105, and the waterboxer struggling to remain cool enough, the 15W-40 in a brand you trust (several have been suggested) is better. Is that because it has more zinc? Thanks

---- Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@gmail.com> wrote: > Hey Dave, 15W40 is truck oil and as such has a much better additive package > that the 20W50 car oil you've been using. > > If you had an oil pressure gauge, you'd notice that your pressure drops off > much less with mileage accumulation than it does with the car oil. > > I love Shell Rotella T 15W40 and use it in almost everything... > > On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 2:02 PM, Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@cox.net> wrote: > > > ---- Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > > > for a weight, 15W40 is what I use, almost exclusively. > > > > > I have used a lot of Chevron Delo 15W40... > > > > > anyway....15W40 in a quality brand does it for me. > > > Scott > > > > Scott, 15W-40 may work fine where you drive. I drive in well over 100 F at > > times, and so prefer to stick with the 20W-50 that is recommended by VW for > > summer temps. You are satisfied with results you've gotten with Chevron > > Delo. Do you know if it is available in 15W-50? Guess I need to look > > about. > > > > Thanks for your commentary. > > > > David McNeely > > > > > > -- > Jake > > 1984 Vanagon GL 1.9 WBX 'The Grey Van' > 1986 Westy Weekender/2.5 SOHC Suby 'Dixie' > > Crescent Beach, BC > > www.thebassspa.com > www.crescentbeachguitar.com > http://subyjake.googlepages.com/mydixiedarlin%27

-- David McNeely