Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 May 2010 16:53:43 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: All engines have issues...
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

very well said. 'unremarkable is a good word to use regarding them. I did one in 1998 or so. .. diesel vanagon, but in an 88 jetta 1.8 Digifant engine.

mostly ...as you say, 'the just work.' Possibly the least hassle, least demanding but reliable Vanagon engine conversion.

it's strange VW didn't do it themselves, it's such a natural. There is suspicion that politics, like union factors, dictated keeping an opposed four in the vanagon after the air-cooled ones, and the waterboxer is clearly an adapted air-cooled design. They could have done very well indeed with a 1.8 or 2.0 inline four .. and heck...in South Africa the stock vanagon engine is an inline 5 water cooled, cast iron block, aluminum head.

anybody happen to know if the 2.5 liter inline 5 93 Eurovan engine fits well enough, or has been adapted to fit into a vanagon ? I know there are Audi five cylinder conversions....just don't know if that's the same engine block or not. I have a donor evurovan for that if I don't make it run instead. Scott ----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Hanson" <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, May 22, 2010 4:02 PM Subject: Re: All engines have issues...