Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 31 May 2010 21:16:35 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: What's wrong with my 1.9 WBX engine?
Comments: To: "M. Jade" <tinho2010@YAHOO.COM>

The fact that you are getting lifter clatter along with the oil pressure light indicates that you indeed have an oil pressure problem. Since this is an older engine with possibly an unknown maintenance history and a lot of down time it is possible that the oil inlet screen is getting block with carbon and other debris including silicone from that head gasket job. I have seen a number of 19 develop this issue, some with well under 100K. This is elusive as after shut down the stuff falls off and everything will be normal even during oil pressure testing. Normal driving sloshing etc. will make the stuff suck up to the screen and block it again.

The 1.9 is also notorious for the main and cam bearing journals wiping out. An oil pressure gauge will show this as soon as the engine warms up. Has anyone serviced the oil pump? The wrong cover gasket will also cause oil pressure problems.

Now for the big question, how is the oil level? Since it is recovering after a few miles of low speed driving it could be the oil is overheating. The most common cause of oil over heating on the Waterboxer is overfilling. The top mark is not the full mark. It is the maximum do not ever exceed no matter what mark. 4.5 quarts with filter at oil change time is plenty. Oil will stay cooler near the lower mark.

Dennis