Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 May 2010 10:25:01 -0400
From:         W Monk <billmonk@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      That darn tranny ground strap

I had someone come look at the used 2.1 I have for sale yesterday. He is on the fence about installing another boxxer or a diesel in his syncro. If he wanted the motor we were going to pull it then. In prep of him coming I removed the cv bolts,the shift linkage,and not thinking pulled the tranny to body ground strap. I had started the motor the day before doing all this. It does run really nice but had small exhaust leak at the number three pipe. He shows up with his son. I try and start the van. It won't start. He has driven a couple hours now to come see this motor I had told him was a good runner. I check the wire on teh starter its loose. I push it on tighter. No start. I keep fussing with it. I can hear the fuel pump running but not turning off after building pressure like it usually does when the key is turned on. Finally after looking like an jerk,I see the ground strap pulled off. I hook the ground strap up,she starts right up. I don't blame him for not buying it after that show ,but I think he is really set on getting a TDI into his syncro. So a quick recap:

If you have these symptoms:

Starter won't turn. Not even click Voltage at the alternator post and battery post with key on is 2 to 3 volts*** When key is turned to on position fuel pump runs and doesnt shut off after building pressure

***NOTE: I was reading these voltage values by grounding the meter to the engine block,don't know how the measurements would have changed if I had put the ground lead to chassis.

Check your ground strap from front transmission mount to body!!

Have a good day.

Bill

P.S. Used nice running 2.1 for sale must go...$500.00 or a complete 0 mile rebuild $2000. Take them both for 2300.00!!!!