Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 May 2010 16:18:48 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Formerly Rich Running 1.9l WBX Now Running Hot
Comments: To: C B <cunegonde.van.westfalia@GMAIL.COM>

re Can I get some of the air out via the valve on the h-pipe, before jacking her up and bleeding from the radiator?

I just leave that H pipe bleeder valve open a small amount for say , a week. That tiny passage is so small it's likely to be block with crud even ... And in my opinion that tiny bleed between the two main pipes adds up to nothing .. so just leave it partially open for a while, like part of 'normal operation' .

bleeding the radiator ... sure. but ...I have done this about 300 times... take a running vanagon , open up part of the cooling system...whether changing a t-stat or an entire engine ... and all you do for about half a dozen warm up/cool down cycles, is top up the pressure bottle when it's cooled back down and there is an air space there. Just top that up over 6 or 7 warm up/cool down cycles... and it will be plenty well bled enough for regular use. Sure...there might be a very small air space at the top of the radiator, but not enough to make a lot of difference.. 'Maybe' if it's hottest summer, with big loads and long hills ..there might be something to be gained by bleeding to that last Nth degree, but 'normally' .....you don't have to 'go nutty' bleeding at the radiator.

Does your radiator fan work ?

Scott ----- Original Message ----- From: "C B" <cunegonde.van.westfalia@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, May 30, 2010 11:53 AM Subject: Formerly Rich Running 1.9l WBX Now Running Hot