Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 31 May 2010 15:15:18 -0700
From:         Zolly <zolo@FOXINTERNET.NET>
Subject:      Re: Comprehensive re-keying
Comments: To: Tobin Copley <tcopley@SFU.CA>

I have taken locks out before and fixed them to fit the key. You have to take out the locks out and work with them, preferably under magnifying glass. Use logic and common sense. Those that fit your key may need cleaning or adjusting the height of the small parts that move up and down to fit the key that is worn. The new lock has to be fit the the old key by taking out the little brass things and grind or file them to level with the cylinder when the key is in it. The brass units are moved up by the little springs under them, so be careful when you remove them or install them back as you work. They are moved down by the key. They reach over to the other side of the key-hole where the key will push it down at. They can also slide and fall out when you turn the cylinder in your hand when the key is not inserted fully. Only the grease and the dirt keeps them in place.

Sometimes they are numbered, so you can make note of which one has which number on it to make sure you don't mix them up, but you would find their place if you do after trial and error when they go level with the cylinder.

The idea is to have all the little parts to be level with the cylinder when the key is inserted, so it can turn in the housing. If one is a little higher, it won't turn to move something that will open and close the door. The cylinder is supposed to be held inside the lock by the little allen key (set screw) that is not tight but allows the lock to turn.

Have fun. Once you know it, it's easy. Zoltan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tobin Copley" <tcopley@SFU.CA> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, May 31, 2010 2:31 PM Subject: Comprehensive re-keying