Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 31 May 2010 15:22:14 -0700
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Comprehensive re-keying
Comments: To: Tobin Copley <tcopley@SFU.CA>

There is ample details about this procedure in the archives. During my years of Vanagon insanity, I owned 14 of them at the same time. I re- keyed all of them to a single key.

Save the wafers from the lock that is falling apart because the main problem I had was having all the correct wafers to match the key.

The toughest to do for the amateur are rear hatch and ignition. Try to use the key that works for those and just re-key the doors.

As for your needing to jiggle the key, it's usually not the lock but the key which is worn out. Before you do any of these changes, you should first locate the key code that came on a tag when the vehicle was purchased new. If you don't have that, you can find the code stamped on door handle. You have to take them off to find that code. Phillips screw under the weather seal and slide handle forward to remove. Then hope that the handle has never been re-keyed before.

You can always send your locks to a locksmith. I sent my Porsche locks off to Steve Sandlin at www.steveslockshoppe.com He has helped a lot of listmembers in the past.

Cheers,

BenT Sent from my mobile device