Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Fri, 4 Jun 2010 11:16:00 -0700
From:   Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:   Halon Extingqishers, was Vanagons Not the Only Inflammable Vehicles
Comments:   To: Wetwesties <Wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>, Loren Busch <starwagen@gmail.com>

Those powder fire extinguishers sure do make a horrible mess !

I had the opportunity recently to try out a small halon fire extinagisher I've been keeping around, like in cars, or even take one on test drives.. I had a collum of gasoine flame two feet tall and a foot wide. I held this small ( about 2.5 inches in diameter, 10.5 inches tall ) Halon extingisher at the top of the flames pointed down, and give it one short burst. Like not even a whole second of a shot. Just one quick burst.

the flames were instantly out. Nothing was burnt. Nothing was even hot. I happened to have a qt yogurt container with 1 and 1/2 inches of gasoline in it, that burst into flames. The liquid gas that hadn't ignited was still an inch deep in the yogurt container ! Amazing. Halon production was stopped or cut back due to ozone depletion reasons ( google or wiki it ) ... but man does that stuff work !!!

it doesn't just displace the oxygen I don't think...it 'neutralizes' flame of something. there are modern replacements for Halon and I don't claim to know much about Halon for extinquishing fires, other than it works fantastically on gasoline. About 18 years ago a parts store was selling these little extinaqiahers for about $ 22 I think. I bought 4. This is the first time I've used one.

and 'the trick' always, in gasoline fires is catch them immediately. Once they get going you're in big trouble, but caught in the first 30 seconds or so, I've put out several, on cars...just got get 'em immediately.

When a fire starts like that ...it puts you very, very much 'in the moment' ....I had two extinquishers within 6 feet of me, and another about 20 feet away. I just thought at the time........I think I'll try this little halon ....man did it work.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: Loren Busch To: Vanagon ; Wetwesties Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2010 4:21 PM Subject: [WetWesties] Vanagons Not the Only Inflammable Vehicles

Last Monday I pulled into a gas station in Corvalis and there parked next to the convenience store at the gas station was a new hybrid (not a Prius but didn't get the make) with hood up and a guy standing there squirting into the engine compartment with a big powder fire extinguisher. Not a total conflagration and they got it out but what a mess under the hood from the extinguisher. Don't know if electrical or fuel. Guess he needed to reminded to change fuel lines and electric cables?

__._,_.___ Reply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via web post | Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1) Recent Activity: a.. New Members 12 a.. New Photos 27 Visit Your Group PICTURES! http://picasaweb.google.com/wetwesties/

Calendar of events: http://www.wetwesties.org/calendar

For technical resources: http://www.wetwesties.org/links.htm

Please conserve bandwidth and clip quoted material in your posts. Include only the information that is relevant to your response.

MARKETPLACE Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.