Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Jun 2010 11:11:57 -0400
From:         pdooley <psdooley@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: cleaning seat upholstery
Comments: To: mcneely4@cox.net

Jeeze, my dad use to clean car parts with gasoline or paint thinner and hose the crud down the driveway to the storm sewer. I thought I was being a good boy by using a water soluble cleaner. Oh well.

-----Original Message----- From: mcneely4@cox.net [mailto:mcneely4@cox.net] Sent: Monday, May 31, 2010 11:07 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM; pdooley Subject: Re: [VANAGON] cleaning seat upholstery

pdooley wrote:

> This product has been on the market for many years and I would hope some > government agency would have figured out if it was too dangerous for > consumer use by now.

Hmmmmmm....... . formaldehyde was used as a preservative for meats intended for human consumption for many years. DDT was on the market for many years. The toxicity of 2-butoxyethanol has only recently been known, and it is being considered by government agencies to be restricted from consumer products. Just because a company promotes a product as non-toxic doesn't make it so, and just because an agency has not banned a substance does not make it safe. Look at all the plasticizers that we now know are not safe -- marketed for many years, and unsuspecting consumers used them.

It may be that the appropriate government action for this material is to place a warning about its proper use and disposal on the label. Perhaps it is safe for use, but it is toxic and it is an environmental hazard. So are many other consumer products.

David McNeely