Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Jun 2010 13:34:43 +0200
From:         Aristotle Sagan <killer.jupiter@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 88 Westy FS mystery

American Military also had buyer plans to buy American spec cars for delivery and use in Germany, then get shipped back to the states when you rotated back.

The dollar-mark conversion was so horrible in 79 and 80 when I was stationed there that you couldn't think of doing that on what an E-4 made.

A Westy would have been a great vehicle for two years of duty. Camping every weekend in the spring and summer...

tim in Aachen Germany

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 4:02 AM, David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net> wrote: > At 03:48 PM 6/1/2010, Jeff wrote: >> >> Hmmm... did VW do European delivery on Westfalias?  If not, the line >> "BOUGHT >> NEW IN GERMANY" is definitely a lie. > > My '84 full Westy was bought in Michigan, delivered at the factory in > Germany along with a piece of paper entitling you to one free CAT and > O2 sensor to replace the straight pipe (since Europe was still using > leaded gas at that point).  Instead of coming here it ended up in > Scotland until '92 -- I picked it up from the Navy vehicle shipping > facility in Bayonne NJ. > > Called VW to see if they'd put in the CAT, since the paper specified > three years.  They said yes, I told the dealer, dealer put it in and > I went on a honeymoon trip.  Got a frantic call from the dealer "Who > exactly did you talk to at VWOA?"  Told him and that was that. > > Yours, > David >

-- Where ever you are, there you be. Unless you're driving my van, in which case, you ain't got there yet.