Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Jun 2010 09:06:33 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: What's wrong with my 1.9 WBX engine?
Comments: To: "M. Jade" <tinho2010@YAHOO.COM>

---- "M. Jade" <tinho2010@YAHOO.COM> wrote:

> The GM certified coolant is what's available and not that expensive. I have used it for several years. If it is not a wrong one I will just use it. It's good that it will last 5 years. My mechanic confirmed to me that it needs not replaced until 5 years in the system. >

More than one radiator tech advised me against Dexcool, stating that it has a tendency to gel or produce sediment. The new long life antifreezes from the regular antifreeze makers like Prestone and Zerex are cheaper than Dexcool, and they are formulated without phosphates, a requirement of VW for our engines. I had been using the VW blue stuff with the platinum and gold mix in it (joke), but next change will go with one of the others. Antifreeze isn't expensive enough for me to leave it for five years. Two is what I go with on other vehicles, and probably will with the camper, though all makers now say 100K miles or five years. At this stage in my life, I won't drive any vehicle 100K miles in five years, though I used to.

David McNeely