Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Jun 2010 10:36:21 -0400
From:         Jim Johnston <inmytree1@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Radiator replacement
Comments: To: B Feddish <bfeddish@netreach.net>

Hello, This is a write up I did pertaining to replacing the radiator...hope it helps...

Well, being it was my first "big" job other that oil changes, it wasn't so bad....I did mine in my driveway...I had to figure things out as I went...

Some tips...

When you drop the spare tire....be careful, it's heavier than you think, pull the clips that hold the cover and bars that hold the spare in place. *Those bars twist out. *

If you have A/C, you'll have to contend with the condenser. I replaced the condenser at the same time. So I had to drain the A/C system, but Bentley says you don't have to disconnect the hoses, if you don't want to. However, it looks tricky if you don't or if you don't have a lift. The van cafe' had the best price on the condenser. The bus depot had a better price on the radiator.

Label the wires that go to the fan, as you'll have to remove them. There are little washers under those bolts that hold the wire, and they bounce and are hard to find...

Once you get everything cleared out from underneath, have a friend help you drop it, if you can. The only things holding the radiator in place are the radiator support brackets. My girlfriend helped me. When I put it back in, I did solo. Don't laugh, but I used a log, which was about a foot in diameter and about 18 inches tall. It was kind of redneck but it worked. I balanced the radiator on the log, which was on my jack, and just kept it steady and I jacked it into place.

Also, I'd recommend changing out the temp sender in the radiator. A word of caution, the fan housing is easily bent, so don't lay the condenser/ radiator/fan down on the fan end. Trust me, I found out...

And, don't lose the rubber grommets that sit on top of the radiator. You'll be reusing them. One final tip, make sure you reuse the spring clamps. While they are pain in the butt, using a regular band clamp wont work due to the amount of pressure that builds in the system. I suggest purchasing spring clamp pliers with the wired extension. They will prove to be invaluable.

Jim Wilmington, NC Jim Wilmington, NC