Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Jun 2010 08:00:20 -0700
From:         Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2.1L engine failure - Update #2
Comments: To: "Jack R." <jack007@comcast.net>

That's a strange occurrence for sure. I don't have any experience with automatics so I can't help with those questions.

But I do have a flex plate here if you can't find one locally.

Seeya, Jake

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 7:36 AM, Jack R. <jack007@comcast.net> wrote:

> The mechanic pulled apart the motor / trans on our friends 90 Westy 2.1, > discovered that the "flex plate"/ Fly wheel > blew up! Basically ruptured and caused everything to stop abruptly... auto > trans bell-housing > cracked in 5 places, and needs a new Flex Plate. (anyone have a source for > this?). > > Motor still turns, haven't tried to start it. > > They are quoting big bucks to change auto trans or weld bell housing, if > trans is OK. > > What could have caused the flex plate to break-up? > > Any suggestions on a course of action? > > Thanks, > > Jack R. > Friends 90 Westy in Grand Ledge MI. > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Jack R. > Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 1:53 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: 2.1L engine failure - Update > > Initial findings look like the trans / flywheel were also impacted. Hole > in > side of trans. > > > > Now, if we need to replace the long-block, and Automatic Trans in the 90 > Westy, we need to think of our best options. > > > > I'm getting the report "second hand" from our friends discussion with the > mechanic who is working on it. > > > > Jack > > > > From: Bruce Todd [mailto:beeceetee@gmail.com] > Sent: Monday, May 24, 2010 6:48 PM > To: Jack Reynaert > Cc: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com > Subject: Re: 2.1L engine failure? > > > > The color of the oil might give you hint as to whether you have a > catastrophe on your hands...silver / metallic specks in the engine oil > means > you have had a serious mechanical malfunction. > > > > BT > > > > No virus found in this incoming message. > Checked by AVG - www.avg.com > Version: 9.0.819 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/2891 - Release Date: 05/24/10 > 14:26:00 > No virus found in this incoming message. > Checked by AVG - www.avg.com > Version: 9.0.819 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/2891 - Release Date: 05/25/10 > 02:26:00 >

-- Jake

1984 Vanagon GL 1.9 WBX 'The Grey Van' 1986 Westy Weekender/2.5 SOHC Suby 'Dixie'

Crescent Beach, BC

www.thebassspa.com www.crescentbeachguitar.com http://subyjake.googlepages.com/mydixiedarlin%27