Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Jun 2010 11:49:59 -0700
From:         "Mike \"Rocket J Squirrel\"" <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: MOD Re: wtf? lol
Comments: To: mcneely4@COX.NET

I'm gonna have to agree with Dave.

Without some line drawn in the sand over which we should not cross, someone, sooner or later, will start using some pretty offensive language, language not just offensive to a few, but to most.

The folk who are not bothered with coarser language will drive away those who are. Is that what we want?

If the place is kept clean and tidy, all will feel welcome.

I, for one, don't fret that some of my favorite words or imagery are not appropriate here. And I'm thankful that I don't have to tiptoe through minefields of political, racist, homophobic, misogynistic, or obnoxious words and ideas to get to the Vanagon information I come here to learn and share. There are plenty of other places -- in bars, behind the shop class, on the Interwebs -- where one unlimber his or her crudest language, and be appreciated for it.

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott

Dave Mcneely wrote: > I may be remembering something that never happened (I have such an > amazing memory that way ;- ) ). It seems like a few months back the > moderators actually asked our opinion on this, and the consensus was, > leave it up to them. I think most who responded felt like profanity > and vulgarity were inappropriate, that the list was for families, not > just old codgers who drive VWs. > > At any rate, why cuss in public? No one ever offended anyone by not > cussin'. Can we say the same for cussin'? > > Now, if I saw some real creative, colorful wordsmithing here, I might > applaud it privately or even commend it to others (but probably not > on the list). My father could come out with some prizes at times. > But most of what I've seen here on the rare occasions when it has > appeared has just been mundane. The polite cursing with euphemisms > that my mother and aunts used is far more colorful and shows at least > a modicum of wit. > > My word to the moderators -- thanks for the great job you do, even if > I personally wander off into inappropriate topics, and get called up > short. > > David McNeely > > ---- Rob <becida@COMCAST.NET> wrote: >> At 6/2/2010 09:31 AM, JordanVw@AOL.COM wrote: >>> In a message dated 6/1/10 6:21:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time, >>> vw.doka@GMAIL.COM writes: >>> >>> >>>> I know this has been beaten to death in the past, but I find it >>>> odd that a list dedicated to owning/maintaining/complaining a >>>> vehicle is G-rated. Isn't it a given that everyone here is at >>>> least 16 years old? >>>> >>>> >>> i agree with jeff. i feel as if this list is WAY overmoderated >>> since jim stepped down, about things that really are not >>> important. we are all adults here. >> I agree, totally. >> >> >> >> Rob becida@comcast.net > > -- David McNeely