Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Jun 2010 17:45:41 -0400
From:         "Jack R." <jack007@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: 2.1L engine failure - Update #2
Comments: To: Robert Fisher <garciasghostvw@GMAIL.COM>

They are quoting $3,000 to replace the plate and auto-trans.

Parts and labor.

If one torques down each bolt before moving on to the next one, it will bind up the flex plate. I forgot that the last time I worked on mine, and then remembered it when I got a vibration on start up. I loosened the bolts, and on the third one I got an audible "pop" as the plate sprang back into shape/place. It's no stretch to think that running one off-kilter like that for any length of time could deform, fatigue or crack the thing. Even if it was properly re-set later, something like a flex plate with a crack in it could be something of a time bomb. It's occurred to me more than once that it's not a particularly stout piece of metal for the job it has to do. OTOH, if the bolts were not tight enough you could leave enough play in there to eventually damage the area around the bolt holes without it being super obvious, particularly if the engine wasn't running smoothly. Also, have them check the neck of the torque converter very carefully. Sometimes they crack at the base and it's very difficult to see. If there was sufficient wobble in the TC it would be hard to detect at speed and still be enough to cause accumulative damage. I think I'd replace it just for GP after an incident like that. We'd have to know what "big bucks" means to give any feedback there. Personally I wouldn't want a welded-up bell housing after that kind of damage. I wonder what effect that kind of lock-up might've had on the crank bearings and so on?

Cya, Robert