Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Jun 2010 09:15:52 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fridge/Freezer energy requirements for a dummy!
Comments: To: Jay lefstein <jleftbrane@GMAIL.COM>

---- Jay lefstein <jleftbrane@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > I have found that my westy fridge's in all my vanagons over the years > ( 84, 89, 87 ) have all worked best on propane, i leave it on propane > for 2 weeks at a time here and there and even when driving.. the > vitrifrigo seems pretty badass ;)

The Dometic works really well on propane, at least mine does, so long as ambient temperature is generally below 100 F and the camper is parked in the shade (not always available -- in that case I try to turn the refrigerator side of the camper away from the sun). It also works really well on A.C., which I use to precool it before a trip. One time I used it on A.C. when camping at a state park. That's the only time I have ever camped where A.C. was available (I tend to avoid such places). It works pretty well (keeps cold if precooled) on D.C. However, if I stop for any time at all, say for a meal or a rest, it will warm up. So, if I expect to be stopped longer than a half hour or so, I switch it to propane. I also precool all foods and drinks before putting them in the refrigerator.

I never run it on propane when driving, in keeping with instructions with the machine, and general expectation that it would not remain lit. I have done so briefly during tests, but I did not drive at highway speeds. The owner's manual explicitly states that it is not designed to remain lit while moving, and the propane is supposed to be shut off while moving anyway (DOT regulations).

DMc