Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Jun 2010 13:11:49 -0500
From:         Ry <rylincoln@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      vanagon bleeding

*Saved this for friday to just vent a little after years of hearing how hard it is to bleed a vanagon cooling system....*

<soapbox> I don't get the sound of dread everyone has in bleeding the cooling system on a Vanagon. I used to believe this too, after hearing so many vw "mechanics" talk about how hard it was and "oh it takes hours and requires jacking up the front and 2 people plus you have to do it while riding a unicycle over Vaseline covered cement yada yada. I mean no offense, just seems like it's thought to be more difficult than it really is. I don't even jack up the front.

After a recent engine replacement I filled up with coolant/distilled water 50/50 as much as it'll take using a plastic pipe fashioned from my shop vac attachments stuck in the top of the coolant reservoir under the decklid, this get's the hydraulic head at the rear above the top of the radiator at the front.

Warm up till tstat opens then crack the bleeder valve on the radiator until fluid comes out and no bubbles, i let it run a minute or so and keep topping up fluid at the rear.

The system is self bleeding after that with that ring around the engine compartment lid, bubbles will rise up there into the expansion tank and be gone, bubbles trapped in the radiator are let out when opening the bleeder valve at the radiator.

This all took me < 30 minutes.

I've never had an overheating problem even while running my newly refurbished A/C in 99F weather. *knocks on wood* maybe i'm just lucky thus far </soapbox>

peace, -Ry