Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Jun 2010 12:48:12 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Upstream Fuel Filter dissection results
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

hmmmm... EFI fuel mixture is determined by how long the injectors are held open, and the fuel pressure behind them. So I suppose, in that sense low fuel pressure will affect mixture. If the oxygen sensor is working and it's in closed loop, there is some mixture correction feedback of course.

low fuel flow itself won't affect mixture per se, too much I don't think. You'd have low power if you had low fuel delivery rate.

my hunch is the inner diameter of the smallest part of the fuel supply circuit does not have to be too big. There are two sizses of fuel outlet on the 2WD vanagon fuel tanks... some are the size a 5/16th ID hose fits on. Others...like an 87 2WD van have a larger outlet, like 7/16th inch.

sometimes when you get an aftermarket tank, and you had the bigger outlet before, now you have the smaller one. I built a 97 DOHC 2.5 Subaru engine conversion, and at first we had a clear cut off at 4,200 rpm ... and we wondered if it was the smaller fuel outlet on the tank, cause that's what it had, rather than the bigger one.

that turned out to be lack of a good Vehicle Speed Signal, so there was that 165 hp, 6,200 rpm engine, running just fine off the smaller fuel outlet at the tank ...

my point is,.....that small size is enough for good engine power and proper mixture.. and mixture is more related to fuel pressure, than to fuel delivery volume.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Hanson" <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, June 04, 2010 7:04 AM Subject: Re: Upstream Fuel Filter dissection results