Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Jun 2010 13:11:14 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Operation Gas Tank: '90 into an '85
Comments: To: Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM>

the later tank fits in just fine. You 'should' have the better smaller plastic filler neck on both. In any case, the smaller plastic filler neck is WAY easier to work on, and you want that installed for sure.

the only other difference is in the fuel out let pipe size. right where it goes to the fuel pump. if the two tanks are different there you might have to do a little adaptation , but no big deal.

I regard vanagon fuel tanks are pretty non-serviceable.

I've looked in ones that seemed restricted...and tank looked real clean inside. the fuel is picked up in a sump area in the middle of the tank ....an area you never work on or access without opening up the tank.

'back when' radiator shops worked on metal fuel tanks.. my diesel vanagon tank would stop delivering fuel at about 1/4 tank.. and I *knew* that tank was the problem because the van ran fine off the aux tank on board.

I took that vanagon tank to my radiator shop. they didn't think there was anything really wrong with it, until finally after about two months of doing nothing, they cut the bottom open where the sump area is - yup, all cruded up in there they sheepishly admitted.

but normally .....on vanagon 2WD fuel tanks...they either work or they don't,.. pretty non-serviceable other than fuel treatments, blowing out etc. ....and you can't get to the area where they get clogged, not normally anyway. Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff Lincoln" <magikvw@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, June 04, 2010 9:40 AM Subject: Operation Gas Tank: '90 into an '85