Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Jun 2010 18:22:32 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rich Running Chilly 1.9l WBX
Comments: To: Peter DiFalco <peter.difalco@GMAIL.COM>

hi yes, copper based anti-seize compound is 'the good stuff' in my opinion. Have used it on thousands of spark plugs... just sparingly.

on engine oil on the threads per the Muir book.................... better than dry but doesn't strike me as the right thing to do quite. Diesel fuel would be better almost.

that is a BRILLINAT book ..no doubt, and there are some things I don't agree with in that book... like he says to disable the automatic choke. I think that's silly. The electric automatic choke on VW Bugs and similar engines is a fine, fine device. Gotta go in there and reset it too often, and that little pin can fall out so the fast ilde cam flips over ( very dumb design that ...and an example of how germans engineer things to work right only when they ARE right ) .. but those chokes are just fine.

he also says to warm up the engine before driving ......about the time it takes to hand roll a cigarette... I don't agree with that either ! ... both parts, and long ago I hand rolled my share of cigarettes for sure.

you start the engine as gently as you can, or as it will, wait 10/15 seonds, then drive easily for the first few miles. That puts the engine under load and helps it warm up. With no loud on it, doesn't warm up very well. A bad scenario would be a situation where you have to jump right on freeway with a very cold engine most days ... or start off driving downhill for a good long way first....that also makes it run without load and won't warm up too well either.

but please, treat all theads ( almost all ) with something .. I might end up working on it someday down the line. Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter DiFalco" <peter.difalco@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, June 04, 2010 3:44 PM Subject: Re: Rich Running Chilly 1.9l WBX