Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 6 Jun 2010 10:39:08 -0700
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: A new project..inline 4 VW van
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com>

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 9:01 PM, Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com> wrote: ....

>  My planned project is to pull the 1.8 liter and swap on the bottom end of > the 2 liter motor.  The 2.0 liter ABA is supposed to put out about 25 more > ponies and I am told they are better designed for lower RPM running with a > forged crank and some under the piston oil squirters.

> when I saw the $100 complete motor...Hadda buy it.  I can re-sell the head, > the water pump, the alternator, the distzy, etc and actually make money on > my swap while getting some extra HP..

There's no guarantee that your new ABA will have oil squirters. Seems it's a hit or miss thing.

Re: water pumps. Not sure how one would tell, but if the coolant pump looks original, consider swapping in a new one. The original one would likely have a plastic impeller and will deteriorate over time possible fragging or at least allowing bits of the impeller into the cooling system.

Pic of mine showing wear:

http://tinyurl.com/2alo9p9

I installed a new one that has the stamped steel impeller.

Pic of similar or same

http://www.germanautoparts.com/images/7607a6e284530303132313632303/f

Works fine, but at time of swap, had read that there is a pump with a better designed impeller. Still. It seems mine moves coolant just fine.

Neil.

-- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines