Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 6 Jun 2010 14:45:29 -0700
From:         Jim Arnott <jrasite@EONI.COM>
Subject:      Re: [vanagon] Fwd: Pop-Top Canvas Replacement Video
Comments: To: Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@yahoo.com>

On Jun 6, 2010, at 12:04 PM, Robert Keezer wrote:

> Thanks, Jim. > I sent the canvas back I ordered and they told me it was the correct > year and model. > Maybe seeing this video would have spared me a lot of trouble. Spent > a whole day trying to install it with the pop-top on. > I saw the old canvas had the "pie-cuts", I did'nt do any cutting to > the new canvas. > Then three friends helped me remove the top-all four of us could not > get it to stretch. > If we tacked it down at one end first, the corners would'nt reach at > the other. > No instructions came with the canvas. > It was the cheapest I could find, $199.00, > The canvas also weighs almost a pound less than the old original, > doesn't have the welt on top, and the plastic edge on the bottm is > only half the width of the original. > ANy recommendations ?

With regard to what?

No welt on top = early staple in canvas. Weighs a pound less = thinner material. Cheapest = you just might get what you pay for. No instructions = I've never seen instructions included. Do you get instructions with any other auto part?

I bought my blue sunbrella canvas from AA Best & Co. (An aside here... When I ordered the blue canvas, I was given a delivery date. I scheduled the install the Friday following the scheduled delivery date. Date came and canvas was delivered. Tan canvas. Delivered on Wednesday. I called AA Best & Co and told them what I had. Teri there said that the correct canvas would be in my hands in time to keep the appointment. The following day, I received a FedEx overnight package with the correct canvas. and a return tag for the wrong canvas. Outstanding customer service.) Cost me about $300 IIRC. Kris had no problem installing it. (Twice. Originally on a staple-in top then in a late model screw-in top.) Many of us find it more cost effective to pay Kris rather than make a mistake that might result in trashing a $200-300 part. Ron at Bus Depot, Peter at Van-Cafe, Ken at Van-again and I'm sure others all sell canvas. Ron says that they all get them from the same supplier. The one that Curt had Kris install was a factory replacement canvas. Don't know where it came from, but it was very nice.

Jim