Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Jun 2010 09:18:11 -0400
From:         "Jack R." <jack007@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: 2.1L engine failure - Update #3

Well, the "engine" appears to be fine!!! Good news here, lead down completed, and no signs of any internal damage.

The failure was contained to the Auto Trans Flex Plate and Trans. See photos.

Initial hint of the problem was a "clicking" sound upon acceleration, sounded something like a heat shield rubbing. It actually was a loose and over flexing flex plate, going from reverse to forward put more flex than it can handle, while it was loose. Our friends should have canceled the trip to have their van looked at. But, we ALL had our sights on Buses by the Beach, and discounted the "clicking" too much!

So, on our way to Ludington Michigan State Park (we drove our 84 Westy, our friend followed in their car with their tent!), we stopped to take a look and photos of their Trans and Flex plate. The center of the flex plate blew out and the trans case bell housing cracked and bottom broke out. http://www.flickr.com/photos/77623993@N00/4678733822/in/photostream/ They are going to have a rebuilt trans and new flex plate installed by the shop where their van is in Grand Ledge MI. It should be done and back on the road this week.

Thanks to everyone who provided insight and guidance on this topic.

Jack R. 84 Westy Wolfie, 2.1l 4 Speed on behalf of Chris & Bob 90 Westy 2.1L - Auto w/flex plate & Trans issue.