Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Jun 2010 09:03:46 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: sliding door screen
Comments: To: Jonce Fancher <streetbugs@verizon.net>

I was previously able to look at your site, but now I am asked for a username and password (a popup requesting that appears, followed by a statement saying, "you are not authorized to view this site.") Hard to consider buying anything if I can't see what's for sale.

---- Jonce Fancher <streetbugs@verizon.net> wrote: > Hi David > I have toyed with making these for some time. I still have not been > happy with any of the available side door screens. I have a new one > that my wife purchased from GW. I looked it over and found it to be > fairly generic. From what I understand there are many application > differences in many models. Making 1 screen to fit all is a BIG > challenge. I do have a Prototype on the board but Do not like the > life span of the strip magnet. The issues is if you build it on the > inside and close the door you trap the bugs in from screen to door. > If you mount to the outside you have to take it down to close the > door. I did come up with a cleaver little side door screen but I am > not ready to put out to the general public. It is also a bit more > expensive then the standard GW screen. I usually hate to reinvent the > wheel but from what I have seen the only wheel out there is Flat or > square. I also have a slick rear hatch screen that will fit ALL > vanagons Not just westys. Still in Prototype stage and again more > expensive then the OEM snap in gig. > feel free to follow my website at www.fanchers.com click on the VW > Stuff Section. Nothing is posted but if there is enough interest I > will do what I can to put something out for the dreaded BUG season. > C-ya Jonce > BTW not trying to do a shameless plug. > C-ya > > > > >---- Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > > > Tell me more about the sliding door screen. What year is your van? Does > > > anybody know what the difference is for the arrangement of the early (as in > > > through 83) and later sliding door is? I have access to both > > style interiors > > > to look at, if need be, but I have no idea how the screen > > attaches. It is an > > > 83 I am wanting to put the screen in. > > > >I have a sliding door screen in my 1991 VW Vanagon GL Campmobile. I > >installed it following directions from the vendor (GoWesty). The > >screen itself is of excellent quality. However, I am very > >dissatisfied with my installation, and frankly, I can see no way > >that it could be installed so as to fit tightly and function to keep > >out insects, with all the things it has to fit over and around. It > >is particularly problematic at night if I have a light in the > >cabin. that attracts the critters. In these parts, the brown > >scarabs called locally "June bugs" are particularly bothersome, and > >of course some mosquitoes certainly find their way in. It does seem > >to exclude houseflies, which are numerous at some public > >campgrounds, and admits fewer mosquitoes than no screen at all. > > > >If anyone knows how to fit it tightly to the frame, and could advise > >me, I might try to redo it, though of course I would have extra snaps in place. > > > >David McNeely >

-- David McNeely