Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Jun 2010 15:44:25 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Overheating after on Road.
Comments: To: Jamie Fitterer <fittdog8848@HOTMAIL.COM>

Perhaps there is some myth that the 86 and later 2.1 waterboxer cooling system is significantly better than the 1.9 wbxer cooling systen.

Not in my world. Sure the 2.1 has an oil cooler ( and I'm fittig one to my 85 Adventurewagon running 2.1 engine, exhaust and instake system ,but still running 1.9 cooling system ) ........ but I have zero problems with 1.9 cooling systems. and I have the parts to switch any 1.9 wbxr vanagon over to 2.1 cooling system, and did that to an 85 Weekender ... but I wouldn't bother normally.

I'll say this, if you have chronic cooking system issues with a 1.9 wbxr cooling system ... it's not that the cooling system itself is so lame or weak....cuase they are not - it it more likely that you have a real issue. ... whether radiator that doesn't remove heat like it once did, or ...........the obvious ones like thermostat and head gaskets, ...and the can-be-maddening-to-identify exhaust getting into the cooling system at the heads or head gaskets.

What do you mean by 'overheat'. I define overheating as inabillity to sustain running. if it gets to say, 210 F for a short period, no coolant is lost, the temp comes back down normally ... that is what I call 'running too warm.' ... and 210 F would be to warm. but it gets to say 195 F and the gague is at 60 % ..... and conditions are warm .. and it doesn't use or loose coolant, and it comes back down to 180ish when the extra load is removed .. then you don't have a problem.

Within reason, 'cooler is not better, warmer is."

I don't know what actual temp you are getting to, but if the needle creeps up a little above the LED sometimes, and that is the ONLY symtom ....there's no real problem.. You still could have a radiator that con't deal with a really huge heat load .. your needle going higher than normal easily could be a warning sign ... but *by itself* temp being a little high for a while, then coming back down ....can be pretty normal behavior.

I would just fix the cooling system you have myself.

you find out what temp your engine is *really* running at with an infrared temp gun. you shoot that at the engine ..you see t-stat housing is say ...185... you see the main return hose from the radiator is 165 ... even 170 ....that's all nice.

one 'test' I like to do with waterboxer vanagon cooling systems is... jsut let it sit and idle. After a while, sometimes up to 20 minutes the rad fan will come on. in a few minutes it should shut back off. and in another 4 minutes or so , turn back on. etc. when you see that ...it gets up to the right spot on the temp guage ( 55 % is ideal kinda ) rad fan comes on , the it cylces off and on consistently and regularily .. if you see that, that tells you a lot of good things.. that it is running properly up to temp, that the rad fan works, and that the radiator removes heat as it should.

whatever cooling systems you are having, IF you are really having a genuine cooling system issue, is not becuase it's a 1.9 wbxr cooling system. I operate mine on 105 degree days, not problem, and it's cooling a larger 2.1 engine. The 1.9 cooling system is fine,. and the 2.1 is enhaced over that for sure ...that bleed rail around the top of the engine compartment, the oil cooler, but ...just want to say, the 1.9 cooling system itself is not weak or any kind of problem unto itself.

And it's fun to upgrade things too.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jamie Fitterer" <fittdog8848@HOTMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 12:52 PM Subject: Overheating after on Road.

Hey everyone,

I have been meaning to post this for a while and have not gotten around to it.

I have a 1984 Westy 1.9L. It runs pretty good on the road and has always treated me kindly (sometimes).

I have never liked the cooling system in this and have read many posts to upgrade the cooling system to an 86 or later version. I constantly have to worry about the over heating when getting off the interstate or highway and pulling into a town adn getting stuck at a light or something. My Radiator fan works but still the temp can climb when it is 95+ and in the sun. I do drive it around town in the spring andfall and sometimesi the summer but never long enough for it to overheat or some the same symptoms.

I have already replace the temp sensor. the main coolant bottle was cracked so that was replaced.

Will an upgrade help me out?

Thanks Guys,

=