Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Jun 2010 12:33:41 -0700
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2008  Pasat wheel will it fit.  89 vanagon
Comments: To: Tom Jansen <norgecastle@TX.RR.COM>

Tom,

As Bob mentioned, 6 1/2" is not the offset. You might be talking about bachspace which is a different way to express how far in the inside edge will go. Since we're talking Vanagons, let's use the preferred language of wheels for VW's. ET (einpress tief -- pushed in depth in German) is the preferred reference.

Anyway, the offset is important not just for clearance but also for handling dynamics not to mention proper loading if the wheel bearings. Typical factory alloys on Vanagons are ET30. That means the mounting surface of the wheel is 30mm further inward than the imaginary centerline of that wheel. So if you were looking at the cover of A ketchup bottle, midway on the edge would be ET0. Anything inwards is ET with a positive number. Anything the other way would be a negative number.

To get back to your target wheels, you need to tell us width and offset so we can try to sort this out or you. Remember, stock alloy wheels are 6" wide at ET30. Every inch (or fraction thereof) you add, sticks 1/2 inch inwards and 1/2 outwards. So if you look at your van, you can measure how far that new wheel will go relative to what you already have. An ET bigger than ET30 will add or subtract inward depending on that number.

As a general rule, cars like the Passat have a bigger ET than a Vanagons. They are also hubcentric. The centerbore is 57mm. You need closer to 66-67mm to clear your hubs or dustcaps in the front of your Vanagon. The need to enlarge the centerbore unless you are using spacers thick enough to place the wheel out of the caps' way.

Don't forget to factor in load rating. The Vanagon is a heavy device. You wouldn't expect a 300 lb. primaballerina to fit in a 45 lb. girl's shoes, right?

Regards,

BenT Sent from my mobile device