Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Jun 2010 15:38:06 -0400
From:         W Monk <billmonk@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Clutch not letting me shift into reverse

I didn't post about the problem as I had an idea what it was. Here is my story and I am sticking to it:

Last Friday I swapped the tranny in my 87 Westy with a Zetec. I just put in the Zetec a few weeks ago. I knew my tranny has been singing a bit in a few gears but has always shifted with no problem and stayed in gear. Last week it wouldn't go into 3/4. Not even into the gate between the gears. After forcing it a bit. I was able to get the gears till I got home. Then after that even by manipulating the shifter ball on the side of the tranny it was hit or miss getting it into 3/4 gears with all linkage removed. I have a spare tranny in a parts van that I bought because it is a low mile rebuild. I should have swapped when doing the Zetec but my parts van was at my inlaws business and I couldn't start tearing it apart there. So after the Zetec install I hauled the parts van down to my house. I pulled the tranny and motor out of it. So on Friday when I was scheduled to catch a ferry to Buses By The Duck on Long Island I pull my tranny out of my 87 w/Zetec. Wasn't bad using the engine lift and one of those engine levelers. By putting a jack under the tranny and removing the cradle I could lower the front of the motor down which in turn lowered the transmission just turning the leveler on the crane. Very nice and I didnt even come close to hitting some sendors that are on that end of the head. The transmission slid out onto the jack which I lowered as I tilted the engine.

I noticed the cross shaft was very tight and needed some lube on the spare tranny so I pulled it out,cleaned and greased. Moved real nice. I noticed that the lever that goes on the cross arm kinda fell right off when I removed the snap ring. I didn't think much about it at the time. As time was pressed to catch the ferry. I put the spare in the van,(note:what comes down is much harder going back up!!!) Still wasn't to bad. Much easier than any boxxer replacement I did. I also never used the crane and a tranny jack doing a swap with a boxxer either so might not be a fair comparison. I also replaced all the bushing,boots,front shifter plastic bits,universa;l ect...from front to back. I had everything including the two bushing and four metal plates that support the shift rod and I had a new end piece for the front rod that goes over the splined shaft. The PO had not put the bolt where the notch in that piece after a previous adjustment of some kind and made it so it wouldn't turn. Using the specs in the Bentley and a 23mm spacer I adjusted everything correctly. I get in the van step on the clutch and can feel its not right. I can still shift all gears except reverse. I can still drive in reverse if I put it in with the engine off. Good enough for now lets hit the road.

I ponder my issue all weekend at the campout among a sick old dog. I think back to that lever just moving to easy. I go around and measure everyones pedal play,compression,how much the lever moves,where it rests, ect... So I have a bunch of data points to compare when I get home. I won't mess with my van when its driving when not at home.

Last night I finally got to the van. I pulled the lever off the old tranny. It took a puller to get it off. Removed the lever on the tranny in the van. When I removed the clip if fell off. The teeth on the cross shaft compare to the one on the other tranny. I put the spare lever on my van. Its takes a light tap of a mallet to seat it. Put the slave cylinder back on and its back to normal. NIce part is the new tranny is quite in all gears and the motor is running great....

Finally!!! Praying for no more huge repairs the day before/of we are getting ready to go somewhere. Its become almost a rite of passage for me to have the van torn apart.

Bill