Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Jun 2010 16:44:50 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: power steering rack without hydraulic fluid?
Comments: To: Michael Snow <slowmachine82@gmail.com>

hi Michael, I knew you had a good reason. that makes very good sense. I'm pretty nervous about used PS pumps myself. I had one that seemed 'just fine' and it blew out a pretty fresh PS rack.

oh ! you're going over to the other side ! Do I have you mixed up with someone else....though you were a long time die hard diesel guy. I'll bet your excited about that Zetec conversion.

Got a Tiico too I see. thanks for the offer on the core rack, but I have a couple of those already.

here's what I think might be a very good idea ... and inline filter on the pressure side of the PS pump going to the rack. There is a filter screen in the bottom of the res.. but that only filters ATF coming back from the rack. ( so it protects the pump from the rack failing ) but there is no protection against the pump failing and pumping junk into the rack.

check out a FLAPS, or truck places .. an inline ATF filter is a common add-on for Automatic Transmissions. that way you could pump some juice into your rack , and be sure the pump was not pumping metal into it or whatever.

it might be that the high pressure of the 'high side' is very high, or too high for an inline filter , so consider that for sure.

but I like that basic idea ...get some fluid to it ( filtered if possible ) , leave lines connected, but leave belt off.

Scott turbovans too many vanagons to list, and about 7 or 8 for sale, some of them even 80 to 90 % ready to sell. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Snow" <slowmachine82@gmail.com> To: "Scott Daniel - Turbovans" <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> Cc: <vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com> Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2010 3:13 PM Subject: Re: power steering rack without hydraulic fluid?