Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Jun 2010 19:53:12 -0400
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott3@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: AC While Camping
Comments: To: Stephen Steele <steeles@HORIZONVIEW.NET>

Well this thread exploded all over itself and I wasn't sure which one to reply to, so went back to the OP. Here's an idea I had, and maybe someone else can develop it before/if I ever get around to it.

My 86 Westy has the stock AC, but it has never worked well and now doesn't work at all. I also would like the option to have AC while in a CG with hookups. Most of the year I do not need AC at all. I like the idea of accessories that can stay at home when not needed in the van, like my little electric heater. So here's my proposal. One of those portable-rolls-on-the-floor-and-vents-out-a-window AC units. Strap it in behind passenger seat or somewhere. Vent out window. I like the idea of it using outside air for the heat exchange and I think some do this. Maybe a snorkel like thing sticking out the window could supercharge this process while going down the road? When at campground, just plug it in. When driving it gets power from an inverter and battery that is powered by the 2nd alternator that replaces the AC compressor. When not needed, the AC unit, battery, inverter all stay home. The belt could come off the extra alternator too if you like. Obviously, this thing will only work while driving, and will rapidly deplete its battery if you try to run it while the engine is not running. Maybe a safety device that shuts off the AC unit when the 2nd alternator stops producing power? A 120amp alternator is about 1400watts, but what does it put out at idle speed? Several other questions in the wings on this project for sure.

Edward

At 11:26 PM 6/8/2010, Stephen Steele wrote: >I am trying to address one of the wife's chief complaints about >longer duration summer trips in the Westy... A/C while camping and >especially overnight.