Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Jun 2010 20:21:37 -0700
From:         Peter DiFalco <peter.difalco@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Small gas leak

It's optimistic at best to do the job with the tank in on a Westfalia, and downright insanity to attempt it on a Carat with the lower springs. I spent a whole day on the job trying to figure out what I could do easily and eventually found if easiest to drain and pull the tank completely, which also helped to confirm that fuel was leaking from the grommets, not the sender nor a previously applied patch. Peace of mind knowing I was fixing the actual problem was worth it. Including the kit, extra fuel line, filter, and miscellaneous stuff like Vaseline, I probably spent $150. Apparently this is a $500 job to a mechanic (4 hours plus parts).

There are tons of threads in the list archives about the procedure and differences in the vendor kits Including several threads last month.

Best of luck, Peter

On Wednesday, June 9, 2010, Loren Busch <starwagen@gmail.com> wrote: >  RE: Gas leaks on fillup > That's a common problem.  There is a complex of hoses and plastic fittings > plus some grommets in the top of the tank going to two overflow bottles that > sit just above the wheel wells.  The hose and grommets dry out and > crack/leak.  Most of the online vendors have repair kits.  IF you know what > is where and what you are doing those lines can be replaced with the tank in > place and IF you have small. nimble hands.  Otherwise the tank needs to be > dropped to do the job. >