Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Jun 2010 04:28:10 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: [WetWesties] Pain in the Propane
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

At 03:19 AM 6/10/2010, neil n wrote: >I've only filled my new tank a few times, but all attendants so far >have had trouble lining up the nozzle with fill valve as it angles >down slightly.

Aye, there's the rub. I used to offer to hook it up myself, and the offer was usually accepted. Once the attendant tried however it was often useless to suggest that I might be able to do it more easily. Not always.

>Hate to ask but.... > >Is it possible fuel was leaking between nozzle and fill valve due to >poorly aligned (possibly cross threaded?) nozzle? > >(not sure if it's possible that fuel would come out of the nozzle if >cross threaded onto fill valve but....)

I forget the mechanical details but I *think* there is no check valve. I'm far from sure, though. It's most definitely possible to have one that isn't snugged quite up spray liquid all over, and there's one nozzle in the known universe that took a set against Dutiful Passage and simply would not seal to her. You wouldn't get very far cross-threading an inch and three quarter Acme thread, but it might be possible to get it to stick up there, especially if one were willing to lean on it. I expect it would leave visible damage on the thread though.

>Along with the carpet for attendants knees, it occurred to me that >maybe a camping type mirror with a magnet could be attached to the LP >tank bracket to give one a better view of how nozzle is lining up.

It suddenly occurs to me that a plywood gauge to line the hose up next to would quite likely be extraordinarily effective. I rolled the whole van up on its side once which helped, but the attendant wouldn't help me roll it back and my wife was unreasonably cranky about her spilled drink and such. She had here seat belt on, f'goodness sake. Hmmm, maybe that's why she divorced me.

Yours, David ps -- no lie -- in Scotland my sister got it filled at the taxi company in Forfar. Their pumping setup was on a steep driveway, pointing up fortunately; and the tank would never accept more than a gallon or so before it started bleeding liquid.