Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Jun 2010 03:27:45 -0700
From:         Rob <becida@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: AC While Camping
Comments: To: Stephen Steele <steeles@HORIZONVIEW.NET>

At 6/8/2010 08:26 PM, Stephen Steele wrote: >I am trying to address one of the wife's chief complaints about >longer duration summer trips in the Westy... A/C while camping and >especially overnight. >Typically, our OhioValleyTribe VW camping group does a June trip >using campgrounds with hookups.

Even after reading the replies to your question I still feel the need to answer. I've spent a summer in Mobile Alabama and another in the coastal region of North Carolina, my spouse would not be happy with summer camping in the VW down there.

At the risk of offending the 60+ year old campers on this list who still sleep on the ground and just use their VW to haul around their 'stuff' I'm going to bring it up (THEY are qualified to criticize people who don't want to sleep on the ground anymore).

I've been thinking about building a small AC unit into the Vanagon. Maybe where the refrigerator is, maybe under the rear seat... The unit would be permanently installed and vented to put the hot air outside. In my mind I picture vents to the outside that look like the engine inlet vents on the old type2. If not that then the luggage rack mounted unit looks the cleanest. Any thoughts on where to mount one inside?

On a side note I have heard that the Honda 2000 has the 'oomph' to power a small AC unit, anyone have any experience with that?

Rob

becida@comcast.net Western Washington State, USA