Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Jun 2010 21:07:42 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Clutch Question
Comments: To: Kurt Grotz <kgrotz@CRAFTECH.COM>

a bad pilot bearing shows up as intermittent dragginess, and sometimes is hard to get in gear.

here's a test... put it in first, hold the clutch down, start the engine, then see where van starts to move as you let out the cutch. If it starts to move with clutch pedal say two inches off the floor... and it's 'clean' like not real nebulous, but starts to move van clealy over a short distance of pedal travel, like normal.. that tells you the release system is working ...hydrucalics, clutch disc, TOB, pressure plate etc. If it feels very normal that way, but is still hard to get in gear from 'engine running in neutral, then push clutch pedal down, but can't get it easily in gear"... that points very much to pilot bearing.

I consider it the weakest part of the clutch. Like two pilot bearings per one set of clutch disc and pressure plate. Almost that bad. I've seen dust seal-less pilot bearings go out in two years easily, even less.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kurt Grotz" <kgrotz@CRAFTECH.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, June 08, 2010 7:45 PM Subject: Re: Clutch Question

Yes try all the options...master, slave, fluid, et el.

However, I had same problem - it was a blown pilot bearing which I am in the middle of.

Good Luck