Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Jun 2010 17:55:45 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: westy interior install, was Re: westy kitchen mod question
Comments: To: craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>

see my responses in body... On 10-Jun-10, at 3:54 PM, craig cowan wrote:

> Keep in mind the differences between a passanger van and a > westfalia in > terms of the roof. The westfalia roof is flat and sits about an > inch lower > in the center, while a passanger van roof is curved. (And a sunroof > van roof > is 1.1'' lower throughout on the interior!). > As such, the overhead cabinet designed for the flat roof of the > westfalia > does not fit on the curved roof of the passanger van. The rear corner > cabinet (WARDROBE) is also too tall, specifically on the corner > along the > outside edge and will need to be cut down.

yes, need a curved filler piece for overhead cabinet. Westfalia did make such a cabinet for the "Mosaik" kit.

Damn yes, the wardrobe also is cut for the flat roof. When cut down I guess I lose that "secret" storage on top of wardrobe.

> The rear seatbelts are held in by finely threaded and wildly large > machine > screws, which often require strange amounts of force even if not > coroded or > cross threaded....

seatbelts no prob, all in hand.

> The westfalia bed however will require some additional holes that > go over > the flat section of the rear but infront of the engine bay. Those > are not > there on passanger vans and will need to be drilled.

you can see perf stamping on the sound proofing stuff on top of deck. I was hoping if I cut thru the asphalt I'd find a hole. I think I will use a riv-nut instead of a nut bolt and fender washer. .

> The welded in brackets allows one less need for two people or > creative use > of vice grips. > I found the act of cutting and removing from the westfalia pieces that > needed to be welded in to be a reassuring and important part of the > installation that constantly reminds me that this is not just a hacked > together bolt in job.

I just went out with a zip disk on angle grinder and tried taking one of the brackets off. Not fun, and not a good result. I think I will bolt down a sub frame under rear bench to take the place of the brackets. Same for the 2 on kitchen side.

> > I suggest not installing any of the exterior (3) ports (water, > electric, > water fill). There is just no point, and they are known to leak. I > did cut > the hole for the dometic, and run mine on propane all the time and > love it. > However, when I do it again in the near future, I plan to install an > electric fridge and thus avoid cutting any holes. Cut the dometic > hole by > first making and tripple checking your template, taping it on, and > going to > town with a nice scroll saw and a brand new Bosche Metal blade. You > will use > many of these (as well as 1/8'' drill bits!) so don't be afraid to > replace > them.

Not going to install the ports either. I'll fill water tank from inside. if I had the money on hand I would put in electric fridge, but as is, will cut hole for dometic.

your idea of replacing 110 volt outlets with 12 V ones is a good one. Will copy. Never used the 110 in my westy, except at home to power a low wattage heater to keep inside dry over winter storage.

> The swivel seat install particularly is handy on the passanger seat. > Don't put the westfalia window in behind the kitchen, keep the > passanger van > one! It's 50/50 to open rather than 60/40 and allows for greater > ventilation > while parked. They sell window screen kits that fit it. > Or better yet, put in the bay window Jelousey windows! (my next > project!)

Agree to above. was only going to put swivel in pass seat. Never used drivers seat swivel that much, and I want to retain headroom for me (6-2).

> Drilling holes for the drain and propane and all that crap is best > done with > a series of "hole saws" that fit in your drill. Go buy nice metal > ones.

got something better, a set of Greenlee punches. Will make nice holes :)

> I must be missing a few things off the top of my head, but that's a > few good > pointers to consider. > I'm way to young to have this much knowledge of how to do this......

thanks Craig. its very helpful to get your input.

alistair