Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Jun 2010 23:52:26 -0700
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: [WetWesties] Pain in the Propane
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net>

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 1:28 AM, David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net> wrote: > At 03:19 AM 6/10/2010, neil n wrote:

>> (not sure if it's possible that fuel would come out of the nozzle if >> cross threaded onto fill valve but....)

> You wouldn't get very far cross-threading an inch and three quarter > Acme thread, but it might be possible to get it to stick up there, > especially if one were willing to lean on it.  I expect it would leave > visible damage on the thread though.

For sure. This is what was in the back of my mind every time the last 3 or 4 attendants would rattle the collar and nozzle around trying to line things up: "nah..... they couldn't cross thread it!" I guess my own experience, er, discomfort, in seeing/hearing the attendant rattling stuff around on my new tank made me wonder if one could be determined enough to cross thread it.

As you suggest, highly UN-likely.

> >> Along with the carpet for attendants knees, it occurred to me that >> maybe a camping type mirror with a magnet could be attached to the LP >> tank bracket to give one a better view of how nozzle is lining up. > > It suddenly occurs to me that a plywood gauge to line the hose up next to > would quite likely be extraordinarily effective.  I rolled the whole van up > on its side once which helped, but the attendant wouldn't help me roll it > back and my wife was unreasonably cranky about her spilled drink and such. >  She had here seat belt on, f'goodness sake.  Hmmm, maybe that's why she > divorced me. > > Yours, > David > ps -- no lie -- in Scotland my sister got it filled at the taxi company in > Forfar.  Their pumping setup was on a steep driveway, pointing up > fortunately; and the tank would never accept more than a gallon or so before > it started bleeding liquid.

You got it on it's side? Wow! I thought I was the only one on this list that flipped VW's (my poor old '67 Beetle).

yah some kind of aid to help the attendant align the nozzle would be pretty useful.

Hmmm...... (scratches head and ponders)

Neil. -- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines