Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Jun 2010 23:53:29 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: alignment becomes bushing repair
Comments: To: Gregory Smith <gfs@GREGORYFSMITH.COM>

cool, have fun. Can't think of any particular gotcha's on that job. Should go fairly straightforward ... as long as the long bolt slides out nicely.

re Would like to keep the stock 205 size or narrower,

then drop down to 185 R 14 C .....that's narrower, and a 'real' vanagon size. They are easier to find in D load rating, which some people like, but I consider a bit stiff. I prefer, on a 2WD Vanagon in that tire size ... either all four C load rated tires, , or C load rated ones in front, and D's in the rear. Helps handling, tracking and stibility in curves a little bit ...perhaps 10 % worth. I can tell anyway. Can't rotate them front to rear then of couse.

But many more evolved cars have different front and rear tires, On some modern cars, each corner of the vehicle has a tire dedicated to that postion only. 'All same' front and rear is very old tech. There is a little bit to be gainted there in vehicle stabilty and tracking.

if you reall want to exploit the opportunity of dedicated front and rear tires .. you can even use different sizes front and rear ..but that's getting more compliced. But notice, that ALL motorcycles, Indy Cars, drag racers, etc...have dedicated front and rear tires. the Rear is alaways a lower wider tire, and sometimes wider wheel rims in the rear .. someitmes even larger diamter rear wheels ...'more' in the rear is always better on rear wheel drive vehicles.

sure, we play with tire pressure there, and get some stabilty that way .. but there is a whole lot more to be gained with the tires , thier stiffness, and their size - not to make ti all complicated however . Since I run 205/t 65 R 15 C tires.... if I could find the same load rating and stiffness in a 215/60 , or 225/60 for the rear , I would try that, those in the rear, 205/65 in front.

Vanagons do not have to handle like boats. Especially 2WD drive ones. They have very evolved suspension for the era.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gregory Smith" <gfs@GREGORYFSMITH.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2010 7:12 PM Subject: alignment becomes bushing repair

Took my '88 GL in for an alignment, and got the bad news: bad upper control arm bushing on the driver's side. I've ordered the parts, looks simple enough; I have a grinder and can borrow a mig welder. Any gothchas on this job? It looks fairly simple, like I don't even have to mess with the big suspension spring.

Using this as an excuse to buy a shop press. :)

Other goodness; I got a set of 5 stock alloys with load c tires on them from a local fellow Vanagon owner for a good price, including nuts and bolts. Getting used to the look. Will need at least 2 new tires before fall, any advice? Would like to keep the stock 205 size or narrower, and would prefer all season vs highway tire.

Thanks, Gregory (no opinion on camping)

Gregory Smith

Smith Design Studio Small Building Company Olympia, WA 360-239-0429 gregoryfsmith.com