Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Jun 2010 12:43:07 +0000
From:         J Stewart <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: AC While Camping
Comments: To: Stephen Steele <steeles@HORIZONVIEW.NET>

I made my own set up years ago with my '75 Bay. Basically a shelf that hung from the drivers side door with the A/C unit sticking in through the window. Made a vinyl skirt to go around the A/C unit (5K BTU) to close up the gaps. It worked very well, not only kept the camper cool, even up top, but blocked out camp ground noise as well. I modified it to fit my Vanagon, but have not used it since the bay window days. Jeff

Jeff Stewart

----- "Stephen Steele" <steeles@HORIZONVIEW.NET> wrote: > I am trying to address one of the wife's chief complaints about > longer duration summer trips in the Westy... A/C while camping and > especially overnight. > Typically, our OhioValleyTribe VW camping group does a June trip > using campgrounds with hookups. We are planning on attending this > year's outing. > Yesterday afternoon I did a search of the archives on the subject of > A/C while camping. "Long Gone" TK has a hanging bracket available on- > line > with a window mount unit. Another member actually offered a "funnel > tarp"(my words) for the luggage rack A/C mounted unit. > Last night on the van we played around with a 5K BTU unit in the > passenger door window and then on the top in the luggage rack. > I temporarily enclosed the unit in each location by using a small > tarp to minimize air loss. > Once up in the rack, the A/C unit I used seemed to do a much better > job in the luggage rack as the cool air naturally dropped down into > the cabin. > Storing the unit while driving and lugging it about for mounting in > the window seemed a bit problematic. > Also, TK's approach wouldn't allow opening/using the passenger door > while the A/C unit is in place(Alternately, I guess the driver's door > could be used for the unit.) > > Accordingly, it looks like I'm going to try the luggage rack approach > to the problem; with the following issues: > • The 5K unit is a bit heavier than I would like, but it's what we've > got. We used to have a 3K unit that would be perfect for the Westy. > • I'll need to prop the hot end of the unit up so the cool face is > even with the pop top window's bottom, while sitting on the back edge > of the luggage rack. > I plan on using a solid block of Styrofoam® for that purpose, with a > bungee cord to hold the unit in place. > • I used an old sheet to produce a pattern for the tarp (funnel) > enclosure. I'll pin it up on this test trip, before deciding on the > best method of attaching it more permanently. > • This trip I'lI will cover the unit with a trash bag and later make > another cover for the unit while it travels up there enroute. > • And finally, I am anxious to hear how others have dealt with the > condensate from the unit when mounted up there. I assume it will > drain easily down and out of the rack > through the drain holes in the front of the luggage rack. > > > Thanks in advance for any more info on the subject. > > Stephen > Chillicothe OH > '89 Westy > '90 Parts Carat > '85 Wolfy Pop Top Camper(no kitchen) > '73 Sportsmobile > On Jun 8, 2010, at 9:55 PM, David Wilhite wrote: > > > Anyone ever try something like this? > > > > > > > > http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/hvac/air-conditioning/portable/ > > portable-spot-cooler-air-conditioner?ref=h/pricealert > > > > > > > > It's more pricey than a window unit, but may be easier to lug around. > > > > > > > > David Wilhite > > > > 84' Westy > > > > Middle TN >