Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Jun 2010 23:39:29 -0700
From:         "M. Jade" <tinho2010@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Why my rear axle nuts got loose
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net>

Hello David, thanks for the quick reply. I hope it is not damaged that easily yet. Last year the axles were taken off to replace broken CV joint boots. I had been paying attention to the rear wheels. The noise from loose axle nuts is very easy to idnetify. I had two AC beaetles in the past and I had that problem before. So when I heard it last year I took the earliest opportunity to tighten them. The noise immediately went away. It has been good for more than 6 months. Then it started again on one wheel. I checked it and it sure was loose. So I tightened it again. This was about two weeks ago. That wheel is doing fine now. Then I heard the same noise from the other wheel. I checked it today and sure enough it was loose. I tightened it just an hour ago. I will know if the noise goes away tomorrow.

If the noise does go away does it mean the axle is OK? My question is they had worked for more than 6 months. So the nuts have been tight, although not quite enough. Because I had to turn about another 30 degree it makes me wonder if something has worn and it takes 1/12 turn to tighten them again.

When I said loose it's not like you can turn it by hand. You have to turn it by a wrench (1/2" drive 2 feet long bar). So I don't feel the splines on the axle are damaged. The question in my mind is is it possible the axle is going to break off. I know it is probably not very likely. But does it ever happen to anyone to have a broken axle? Last time they were loose I turned the nuts probably 1/12 turn. Now they were turned again 1/12 turn. Something must be wearing out inside or the axle is pulled so hard and about to break off. Again this is probably not likely. But I am concerned really.

Thanks again David.

MJ