Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Jun 2010 00:27:51 EDT
From:         David Clarkson <Dvdclarksn@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Why my rear axle nuts got loose-a bit long
Comments: To: dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET

BTDT-not me personally mind you but my van and my wife. I needed to have the rear bearings replaced and didn't have any way at that time to tighten to the proper torque. I took the Bentley, opened to the correct page, and my van to a local mechanic to do the job along with replacing the front struts and rear shocks (I provided all the parts for everything). They charged me $440.00 (about 5 yrs. ago).I had no problem with their labor charge. I still had some looseness and play after driving it so I took it back two different times for them to check the torque. I was told that everything was as it should be when I picked it up the last time. My wife was going to the Old Time Fiddler's Convention in Galax, Va., about 1.5 hrs. away. I couldn't get away from work so I didn't make it this time. She and I met for lunch as she got back into town and agreed that we would meet back at the house and get the van unloaded-about 5 miles away. I got home and she still was nowhere to be seen with the van over an hour later. I then saw the van being towed into the driveway minus one wheel. A neighbor that was close to the whole situation (about 75 yds. from his house) towed the van to my house-about 1.5 miles from his and didn't want to accept any money (gave him $40.00 that I had on me at the time). Unfortunately it wasn't damage free towing (rear apron damage). I said nothing as he was a saint in being right there before my wife completely freaked out. She was coming up a hill at around 50 mph and the right rear wheel just spun off. She laid the right rear side down in some soft dirt on the shoulder and brought it to a safe stop. I really wanted to go down and confront the shop about re-using a 5 cent cotter pin and causing the accident but didn't. I just didn't know for sure what gave out and caused the problem. I freaked out just thinking about that same situation happening at 75 mph on Interstate 77 when she was coming home. I got a mechanic buddy of mine to come over and help me completely redo the job with more bearings, had to also replace the drum, backing plate and we also replaced the cv joints and put in a AA rebuilt tranny. We used his big gun with a torque multiplier and had no problem getting it right the first time. Be sure you use new axle nuts and of course new pins. It's cheap insurance and peace of mind.

David Clarkson 90 Westy 282,000 mi.