Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Jun 2010 14:12:44 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Noise coming from front wheel
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>

Re "Looking around down there I realized that there > isn't much that could make any sounds except the front wheel bearings. "

there's lots more, like 4 ball joints, two anti-sway bar bushings at the frame, etc....several other important suspension parts...say shock bushings.

there are about 20 things that can knock in the front suspension.

and yes, if wheel bearings are left unserviced 'forever'......... when they finally start to complain loudly .. they are basically worn out. And of course, about $ 4 is high quality wheel bearing grease and an hour or two could have kept them working indefenitly almost ..

"metal requires lubrication where there is movement.' ....like every last part on it that moves.. vanagons are still 'old type' things with metal, rather than plastic everywhere... It's always a shame to see a wasted latch or whaever, when one instanteous shot of spray synthetic lube will make the mechanism happy for about another 2 years or so. The cost-benefit ratio is extremely in favor of lubing things.

Scott www.turbovans.com

just think how many bone dry CV joints there are on vanagons right now ...so easy to deal with too, an inexepensive, and rewarding task. same is true for everything that moves on the van....seat belt latches, parking brake handle pivot point and cable, and ratchet mechanism ..and heater control cables ...hundreds of little spots that are SO happy if you just lube them, sometimes with as hot of spray lube. that takes 1/5 second to apply.

so wastful to just use and abuse stuff ....be like never washing your body or cleaning your teeth .. not that there are any people like that on this list of course ! I'm just sad to see these fine vans not gettting even basic care, based the ones I see . If it was 'hard' to lube something, I could understand. But it's not. ----- Original Message ----- From: "John Rodgers" <inua@CHARTER.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, June 13, 2010 8:59 AM Subject: Re: Noise coming from front wheel